80 million – the number of Easter eggs sold ahead and over this coming weekend in 2015 – and that’s just in the UK!
At Courageous Success chocolate represents positivity.
How much positivity can you cope with? Is it false or real and what’s the impact?
There’s oodles of research demonstrating the impact of a positive mind-set in building resilience, internal coherence and in generating positive hormones that feel good and help us to get the job done. And yet in our research more people share that their workplace is in reality more negative in culture than positive and yet through our approach all of our clients agree that they have the power to perceive positivity and create it.
So what stops us stuffing ourselves with chocolate, sharing it and appreciating the great feeling that it gives us?
- Habit – we have conditioned ourselves and conformed to a social trend that means that we bond on negativity – what’s not great – creating drama.
- Our mood – we wait for others to do what we would and should and blame them when they don’t and let this affect our mood. Stroppy, distant, cold and sulking behaviours breeding negativity.
- Fight or flight – we are programmed to notice the negative to avoid danger – in fact Barbara Fredrickson – the mother of positive psychology – has published that as human beings it therefore takes five times as much focus and energy to be positive.
- Disengagement – for as long as we don’t consciously decide to enjoy our work and world – throwing ourselves into it – we will be looking for the energy and happiness answer.
…and there are many more!
The world can be challenging but positivity is a proven choice that can help.
In our chocolate vs strawberry tool, we ask people this – it’s a hot day. I have two ice creams – chocolate and strawberry – which would you prefer?
People choose almost instantly. Try it now – which would you like? Did you think about it? Did you check what others chose? Did you worry about how you’d be seen if you chose one over the other? Did you procrastinate and bring in sarcasm to diss the choice or the exercise? You just chose. Choosing to be positive is exactly the same choice. Only we tend to make it more complicated than that!
Top positivity tips to cram as much chocolate into you and others as possible;
- Make it real. Genuinely see the good in others and consciously in situations.
- Keep your power – others can’t make you feel cross or fed up – only you can so choose to be optimistic and hopeful instead.
- Don’t make everything about you, step back, what’s really happening?
- Swap negative language for positive – problem to challenge, loss to learning, inconsistency to flexibility.
- Bond positively – who cares if people think you are crazy.
Enjoy chocolate…one of life’s pleasures that has more power than we think!
Talk to us about our Positivity and Self-belief workshop.
t: 01476 500794 e:email@example.com